Its All Here … Waiting For Next Time.
Pretty obviously I intended to finish writing about this (and the last book) before yesterday but … that didn’t happen. So now I don’t feel like focusing too much on the details of Half Blood Prince when Deathly Hallows is so present in my mind. In that light here’s what I got out of it:
There’s a lot that happens in this book and, like all the others, it has a clear independent plot line but in light of the next book a lot of it starts to feel like setup. Here’s just a few … of the top of my head but mostly in order:
- Snape’s ambiguous behavior sets up his big reveal
- Inheriting Kreature sets up living at Grimauld Place … and the locket Horcrux story
- The Burrow visit sets up the wedding (and Shell Cottage)
- Harry’s obsession with Draco (and Ron and Hermione’s constant dismissal of it) sets up the conflict of the three of them being on their own and on the road
- All of Dumbledore’s collected Voldemort related memories set up the mystery of the next book
- Hiding the Potions book sets up Ravenclaw’s diadem
- Draco’s expelliarmus on Dumbledore sets up the Elder Wand Hallow
So that’s a lot of setup. Not that there isn’t a goldmine of clues and foreshadowing in all the other five books too – its one of the things J.K. Rowling is most famous for. But for me at least, with book seven staring me down from the shelf … and the next movie five days away … I’m seeing those nuggets everywhere. The only thing to do, then, is to press on!
Click here for more Harry Potter material.